The COVID-19 vaccine is rolling out throughout the US, and it’s a key a part of returning to a way of normalcy. Immigrants are in a position to obtain the COVID-19 vaccine, no matter citizenship standing.
Immigrant staff make up 8% of the workforce, and so they account for a big share of important staff which were prioritized to obtain the vaccine. The vaccine helps stop COVID-19, and it’s an necessary instrument to assist cease the pandemic.
Nonetheless, when it comes to immunization, minority populations stay underserved. In accordance with the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC), roughly 65% of White folks have obtained at the least one dose of the vaccine — compared to 10% of Hispanic folks, 8% of Black folks and 5% of Asian folks.
If you’re not a U.S. citizen, you may be involved about getting the vaccine as a consequence of questions on documentation and eligibility. Right here’s learn how to get the vaccine and solutions to frequent considerations.
Know your rights with the COVID-19 vaccine
You don’t should be a U.S. citizen to get the vaccine.
The Division of Homeland Safety (DHS) pledged that undocumented immigrants may have equal entry to COVID-19 vaccines and vaccine distribution websites. In an announcement, DHS mentioned, “U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and U.S. Customs and Border Safety won’t conduct enforcement operations at or close to vaccine distribution websites or clinics.”
Because of this vaccination websites are freed from immigration enforcement, and also you gained’t be deported in case you get the vaccine.
Listed below are a couple of extra particulars about your rights as an immigrant:
- Receiving the COVID-19 vaccine doesn’t rely as a public cost. The DHS has said that COVID-19 therapies or preventative companies won’t be thought-about a public cost that may stop you from turning into a everlasting resident.
- You don’t want medical health insurance to obtain the vaccine. Uninsured individuals are in a position to obtain the vaccine as quickly as they’re eligible.
- The vaccine is free. The vaccine is offered freed from cost, per the CDC — which additionally means you don’t should pay any supplier charges or copay.
- Documentation isn’t required. Your vaccination supplier could ask for some type of documentation, like an ID — however you don’t have to supply proof of immigration standing.
- Your private data is safe. For public well being functions, you may be requested about your medical historical past and private data (corresponding to age, tackle, and job). This information gained’t be used for civil, prison, or immigration enforcement functions.
Am I eligible to get the vaccine?
At present, vaccine eligibility varies throughout the US as a result of vaccines are being rolled out in a phased strategy to prioritize higher-risk populations. President Biden directed states to increase eligibility to all U.S. adults age 16 and older by Might 1.
The best approach to verify your eligibility is to view your state or county’s vaccination web site. For instance, within the state of Washington, the Division of Well being maintains an internet site with a vaccine locator and details about the most recent distribution section.
The Wall Road Journal has additionally gathered an inventory of assets and details about vaccine eligibility per state, which is up to date weekly.
How do I get the vaccine?
You may get the vaccine at an area vaccine hub or supplier, corresponding to a pharmacy. Use your state or county’s vaccine web site to discover a close by location, or try the assets obtainable on the CDC’s web site.
You may also use this free on-line vaccine finder, offered by Boston Youngsters’s Hospital, to search out vaccination websites in your space.
Is the vaccine secure?
Sure. There are three COVID-19 vaccines at the moment obtainable in the US: Pfizer, Moderna, and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson). All three have been proven to be secure and efficient in scientific trials, and thousands and thousands of individuals have already obtained their vaccines.
Listed below are some solutions to some considerations concerning the COVID-19 vaccine:
- Can the vaccine make me sick with COVID-19? No. Not one of the vaccines at the moment being distributed within the U.S. comprise the stay virus that causes COVID-19. As an alternative, the vaccines train your physique learn how to construct immunity and battle the COVID-19 virus.
- Will the vaccine alter my DNA? No. The vaccines don’t work together along with your DNA in any respect.
- I’m nervous about vaccine unwanted effects. Like all vaccine, some folks expertise will expertise delicate unwanted effects after injection, like fever, headache, or swelling on the injection website. Most reactions go away inside a couple of days, in accordance with the World Well being Group (WHO).
- Do I nonetheless should get the vaccine if I’ve already had COVID-19 and recovered? Sure. Even in case you suppose you’ve already had COVID-19, consultants don’t understand how lengthy pure immunity lasts.
- I’m pregnant or need to turn out to be pregnant. Is the vaccine secure? Sure. There’s at the moment no proof that the vaccines trigger any issues with being pregnant or your capability to have a child.
- The vaccine improvement was rushed. How do I do know it’s secure? The vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna have been launched so quickly as a result of the businesses began growing their vaccines early within the pandemic, utilizing a way that has been in improvement for years. They have been in a position to be distributed inside a 12 months as a result of the Meals and Drug Administration (FDA) issued an emergency use authorization in response to the pandemic. Research have discovered that each one three vaccines at the moment within the U.S. are secure and efficient, and so they meet the FDA’s rigorous scientific requirements.
- Translated variations of the actual fact sheets for the Pfizer, Moderna, and Janssen vaccines
- Discover vaccine websites close to you with VaccineFinder
- Advantages of Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine