Interview with CEO – Sir, Chrysostomos Vassili of the Vassili Group LLC
CEO of the Vassili Group LLC, Sir Chrysostomos Vassil, expressing his views on world food-security and why all of us must take discover.
I requested Sir Vassili to offer a number of examples of why he believes world meals safety is a severe concern in our current time
The examples he gave had been as follows:
It’s estimated that one in three individuals on the earth (2.37 billion) didn’t have entry to sufficient meals in 2020 – that’s a rise of virtually 320 million individuals in only one yr and this quantity is growing.
So we should ask ourselves, are we producing sufficient meals that may maintain sufficient meals manufacturing to feed complete human and animal inhabitants on our planet and do we’ve a plan to supply meals to feed our future human inhabitants expansions? The reply is not any to all, which ought to concern us all.
LETS LOOK AT SOME BRIEF FOOD IMPORTS EXAMPLES –
1) USA imports 15% of its total meals provide
2) UK imports 45% of its total meals provide
3) Germany imports 22% of its total meals provide
4) France imports 10.5% of its total meals provide
5) Italy imports 11.2% of its total meals provide
6) Spain imports 12% of its total meals provide
7) Portugal imports 15.4% of its total meals provide
8) Greece imports 13% of its total meals provide
So on common, we will say that every one nations are displaying that they’re necessary between 10-20% of all meals they eat, which implies if all have a meals deficit of 10-20% then that may account for the one in three individuals on the earth (2.37 billion) didn’t have entry to sufficient meals.
Now add to this food-security points which might be unexpected, corresponding to occasions of lack of rain, drought, crop ailments, soil erosion, battle and different environmental disasters, no additional farming land left to broaden and farm, in addition to the continuous world enlargement of human inhabitants and animal inhabitants enlargement to satisfy human inhabitants consumption for meat and fish and animal feed to maintain them, and at last the USD$100-billion meat business for the manufacturing of pet meals for loving pets of cats and canine, who additionally must eat and survive, and most would by no means survive within the wild as domesticated pets, which implies they’re dependent upon people to supply their meals to outlive .
This merely reveals that meals safety is already a severe concern and requires restructuring into new sustainable applied sciences along with land farming, which requires nice funding and improvement in order to result in sustainable long run meals safety globally.
So allow us to have a look at a number of necessary level –
1) Creating feed for animals creates giant scale environmental destruction, lack of bio variety within the soil, lack of water sources, deforestation, makes use of of pesticides, fertilizers, a lot of which run into the soil and pure water system corresponding to streams, lakes, rivers and oceans and create lifeless zones that kill roughly 212,000 metric tons of fish a yr and there are over 400 websites like this globally, destroying pure meals supply yearly for over half a billion individuals on our planet.
2) To create a single plant base burger provides 3.5 kilos of carbon to our environment, and a meat beef burger provides it again into our soil by way of animal waste, the place it belongs – It’s argued that we should always eat extra plant based mostly meals and fewer meats, however it’s counter-argued and confirmed that e.g. farming to create a Soy-Burger/Plant based mostly Burger provides 3.5 kilos of Co2/Carbon to the setting. In brief, to develop sufficient Soy to create one plant based mostly burger provides 3.5 kilos of carbon to the setting and to develop sufficient beef to create one beef burger provides again 3.5 kilos of carbon to the setting by way of animal wastes which naturally fertilizes the soil, the meat off-sets the environmental destruction created by the grown soy plant burger, and that is due to the quantity of pure waste the animal places again into the soil. This can be a factual normal argument, which resolves nothing, if something, it results in extra argument on the topic, and achieves no viable options.
3) Soil is the largest carbon sink on the planet, it will probably maintain 3 instances the quantity of carbon in our environment. The waste from farmed animals naturally fertilizes the soil and places again the three.5 kilos of carbon into our soil, but this can be counter argued by many alternative elements, certainly one of which is the pure bodily fuel animals launch, which is believed to be damaging our surroundings/environment, so we discover ourselves as soon as once more arguing backwards and forwards on the topic.
4) We lose 200,000 Tons of soil EVERY HOUR, we unfastened soil equal to the dimensions of Nicaragua or North Korea EVERY YEAR. In accordance with the United Nations we’ve 60 Harvest Left and thereafter we could have a worldwide meals disaster that may trigger famine globally. The 60 harvest timetable predicted might strongly be argued that with higher agricultural farming practices we will farm with out points for one more 100+ years and others might even argue one other 1000 years, however in actuality this isn’t an answer, we should always not have time frames on our meals safety, and so long as we’re dominantly relying upon fertile soil to develop our meals, which does have a life span, then we should search extra sustainable and environmentally pleasant options, sooner, reasonably than later.
5) You will need to perceive that this isn’t about whether or not we should always convert from meat consuming carnivores to plant eaters solely, and all to change into Vegans or visa-versa, or maintain a stability between each, quite the opposite, whether or not we change into vegan or stay as meat consuming societies, the harm remains to be inevitable to our land based mostly farmed soils and our surroundings. Land based mostly farming for animal feed or human feed provides equally a big carbon footprint and eradicates our fertile soils which we as a human race depend on as our meals supply and survival, and let’s not overlook our pets.
6) Prior to now farmers would permit their lands to relaxation a yr skipping a crop manufacturing, in sure fields/lands, in order that the land can revive and replenish itself, however in in the present day’s world the place our populations proceed to broaden and any sort of interruption in meals manufacturing will create shortages which might create main meals safety points, it’s not potential to use the previous strategies of farming globally.
7) Additionally, this isn’t about whether or not plant based mostly meals is more healthy than meat based mostly meals or visa versa, that is one other pointless and limitless argument, for instance, as hunter gatherers we ate over 800 species of vegetation, in the present day we eat a mere fraction of such wild grown vegetation, the remaining we’ve forgotten about and not eat nor farm and most edible wild plant species rising within the wild, we’ve worn out and destroyed resulting from business plant farming, decreasing our wild plant meals safety by as much as 95% lower than what it must be, and as for meat, some cultures just like the plains Indians of Dakota USA lived totally on Buffalo meat all yr spherical they usually had been among the healthiest and longest lived individuals in historical past, one may even argue that the Liver of an animal incorporates extra mixed Nutritional vitamins and Minerals than some other plant or fruit on the planet, and thought of a high Tremendous-Meals, however we’d not logically take into account that as a every day dietary meals consumption nor as a substitute to the a number of vegetation and fruits we would wish to eat to get the identical advantages of consuming Liver.
That is about FOOD-SECURITY and the way we should begin to higher our improvement of food-production and safety and never about Greens v Meats. It’s about meals being developed in an environmentally pleasant and secure approach so we will keep away from world famine disasters in our close to future and definitely inside our lifetime and to safeguard our planet and all dwelling issues upon it.
8) Even when we had been to dismiss the UN warning of 60 Harvest left as fiction and nonsense, the very fact will nonetheless stay that we already endure world meals shortages TODAY, agricultural land doesn’t improve in its measurement, and if it did will probably be on the expense of deforestation which results in extra environmental catastrophe, however, one incontrovertible fact that exist and can’t be argued with is that we as a human race do improve in numbers, world inhabitants will increase by the second, but our present food-security which is already strained won’t ever be capable of improve based mostly on our present agricultural lands already farmed for human meals and animal feed, it won’t improve to satisfy the rising world inhabitants. Our close to future will endure food-security points until we apply completely different applied sciences that may drastically scale back the quantity of land farming required at current to feed the worldwide human inhabitants and create larger and more healthy crop yields.
How will we improve our crop yields by 100% or extra to create higher and more healthy crops with zero destructive impression on our surroundings and soil, with out requiring extra agricultural Land?
The reply is HYDROPONICS, AQUACULTURE, AQUAPONICS, AQUA”B”PONICS
Those who query on whether or not we will maintain food-security for current inhabitants, then let me refresh what I mentioned above –‘’one in three individuals on the earth (2.37 billion) didn’t have entry to sufficient meals in 2020’’
Many will attempt to argue this as being all resulting from Covid-19, however the actuality is that crops don’t cease rising due to Covid-19 and animal farming for meat and poultry didn’t cease resulting from Covid-19, and I ask anybody to attempt to identify a single yr in previous century the place there wasn’t meals shortages and famine occurring in our world.
We merely want to take a look at the farmed lands obtainable to us on our planet –
EARTH LAND –
- Earth floor is simply 29% land which equates to 149 million km2
- Earth ocean is 71% which equates to 361million km2
- Earth Liveable land floor (Normal) 71% which equates to 104 million km2
- Earth Glaciers land floor is 10% which equates to fifteen million km2
- Earth Barren land floor is nineteen% which equates to twenty-eight million km2
- Earth Human Recurring land is 50% which equates to 51 million km2
- Earth Forests is 37% which equates to 39 million km2
- Earth Shrub lands is 11% which equates to 10,909,090 million km2
- Earth City and built-up land is 1% which equates to 1,090,909 km2
- Earth Recent Water is 1% which equates to 1,090,909 km2
- Earth Animal Feed, Meat Dairy Agricultural land is 77% which is 40 million km2
- Earth human Crops Agricultural land is 23% which equates to 11 million km2
- Earth / World Meat & Dairy Energy provide 18%
- Earth / World Plant Primarily based Energy provide 83%
- Earth / World Meat & Dairy Protein Provide 37%
- Earth / World Plant Primarily based Protein Provide 63%
So we both begin creating extra farmlands, clearly by destroying extra of the environment, echo system and animal and flora, in addition to important forests, or we change into ingenious.
We imagine that the way forward for food-security should come from Hydroponics, Aquatics, Aquaponics and Aqua’B’ponics
Transient instance –
HYDROPONICS is the cultivation of vegetation with out utilizing soil, a soil FREE resolution. Hydroponic flowers, herbs, and greens are planted in inert rising media and provided with nutrient-rich options, oxygen, and water. This technique fosters fast progress, stronger yields, and superior more healthy high quality vegetation. Makes use of 95% much less water than land farming, no pesticides, no fertilizers, soil free, insect and illness free, as much as 98% much less crop waste, can develop all yr spherical in any setting globally, creates more healthy and cleaner crops with zero harm to our soils and setting, and 52 Acre Hydroponic Web site can develop equal to eight,000 Acres of land based mostly crops.
2) AQUAPONICS is a system of aquaculture during which the waste produced by farmed fish or different aquatic creatures provides the vitamins for vegetation grown hydroponically, which in flip purify the water. Aquaponics has an computerized recirculating system, aquaponics doesn’t require a lot monitoring or measuring, reusing and recycling the identical water and vegetation are fertilized from fish waste, supplying a stead yield of plant based mostly meals and protean/fish. This has zero impression on our rivers, lakes and sea, it permits present fish shares to extend naturally in their very own setting which boosts our meals future meals safety.
3) AQUA’B’PONICS is AQUAPONICS with a an added system that grows flowers and vegetation for Honey Bees, and bee conserving, in order that the system harvests, edible greens, fish and pure wholesome honey all yr spherical with zero impression on our surroundings.
4) AQUACULTURE is fish farming both in lakes or sea, nevertheless, VGPIP solely funds Land Primarily based Aquatics, which recirculates and rejuvenates the identical water with zero impression on our surroundings. Creating 100% wholesome Natural Fish, with zero illness or infestations or contaminations, utilizing naturally farmed plant feed grown organically in hydroponic programs and from natural insect farming to create pure natural feed.
We’re planning throughout 2022-2035 to put money into following areas in order that we will create food-security –
- Develop in USA, UK, Europe & Africa, a minimal of 1000+Massive Scale Hydroponic Centres, on a complete mixed land space of 52,000 Acres, of which the land can be non-agricultural land, producing vegetable and fruit crops equal to the crop yield of 8,000,000 acres of ”Grade-1” agricultural land farming, unaffected by local weather change or the setting, producing sustainable yields of natural meals for 100+ years. Primarily based on programs that makes use of 95% much less water than farm lands, soil free, insect and illness free, could be grown in any setting.2) Develop within the USA, UK, Europe & Africa a minimal of 200+ Aquaculture Centres, on a complete mixed land space of 40,000 acres of which the land can be non-agricultural land, producing natural fish varieties for human consumption, producing a complete of 55,000,000 Tons per yr of natural fish, producing sustainable yields of natural meals for 100+ years. Primarily based on similar water circulation programs, with 2% water loss yearly.3) The Hydroponics and Aquaponic Facilities are aimed to be developed on outskirts of cities and cities and the dimensions of every improvement will fluctuate in accordance to inhabitants ratio and present meals produce infrastructure
5) Every undertaking can be powered by a hybrid of renewable inexperienced vitality plant, with its personal battery storage and electrical substations, which permits every undertaking to function 100% on renewable clear inexperienced vitality with a zero CO2 emissions and carbon footprint, have a zero destructive impression on local weather change, or on any animal, insect or chook life.
6) The event of Water Remedy Vegetation, Bore Wells, Desalination Vegetation and Distillation Vegetation to produce water
7) The tasks will create total in complete as much as 1,700,000 direct new jobs and as much as 12,000,000 oblique jobs, globally
8) The meals produce of this aimed undertaking will be along with the present world meals produce, it is going to present food-security globally and assist eradicate starvation and famine and supply the chance to create new crops in areas that may not be potential to develop and guarantee food-security is sustained and secure for the following 100+ years to satisfy our current and future world populations.
We maintain an ethos which is concentrated on tasks for the final good thing about society and with respect to humanitarian functions, and these aimed tasks are important to maintain and improve our current and future world meals safety.
with out such tasks, we’ll between now and 2035 threat unimaginable human struggling that the world has by no means confronted earlier than in its recorded human historical past, with extra refugee financial migration growing globally merely out of must eat, we should act now to use sustainable food-security for all mankind.
We should all transfer away from this diversional timewasting argument of VEG or MEAT dietary selection and market instructions, it removes us from the fact of meals shortages we’re all at present experiencing and meals costs which have elevated 10-40% globally, which replicate meals shortages, let’s all please prioritise this topic and all give attention to meals manufacturing that’s sustainable and meets our world populations and never simply a few of us.
We noticed throughout Covid-19 the loopy panic rushes to supermarkets for meals hoarding in addition to different necessities, so we will say that human response to retailer meals with out a lot consideration of others and their wants for meals, was seen globally, some referred to as this shameful behaviour, others referred to as itself preservation, and others referred to it as panic and human nature to react in such a approach, and apparently, this was not resulting from lack of meals or meals shortages, this was primarily resulting from late meals deliveries resulting from lack of motion.
Can we think about how the human inhabitants would really react if there was a public announcement that we not solely don’t produce sufficient meals to feed complete inhabitants however can’t feed future populations with present farming lands?
My recommendation to all, is develop your individual meals, irrespective of how little it could be, even when it’s only a window field, it’s not the quantity that you’ll develop that issues, the truth that we’re reconnecting to studying develop our personal meals is a serious training in our personal self-preservation, so let’s educate ourselves and our youngsters how meals is grown and the way we could be self-reliant if we would have liked to be, if something we’ll re-educate our current and future generations on how we will all develop our personal meals.
Rising meals was the primary exercise that gave us sufficient prosperity to settle and lay foundations in a single place, type complicated social teams, inform our tales, and construct our cities, and each human being knew develop meals.
Chatting with handful of youngsters from age of 10-17, most couldn’t recognise the names of most greens and plenty of thought they only seem in supermarkets as if by magic, and once I requested, ‘if meals ran out, what would you do’ and the one reply given was ‘’go to supermarkets’’. None knew how meals is produced or grown, half thought potatoes grew on bushes like apples; the purpose that I get to is, ‘’why aren’t faculties educating important training on how meals is farmed or to no less than recognise and establish the meals varieties every baby consumes every day’’, such easy training which is significant for our human survival is totally ignored inside faculties.
Kids are to date faraway from the fact on how our meals is created that we depart them susceptible for survival and self-preservation in addition to the way forward for our world food-security, I believe it’s time for our youngsters to place down their smartphones and get their fingers soiled in planting one thing, and made liable for what they planted till it matures to be harvested, and ready for meals and eaten by that baby, and by doing this easy train, we might have given them a survival ability that might safeguard our planet and the food-security required for his or her future.
Within the final 100 years, nearly 50-80% of populations of all developed nations the place employed in agriculture, in the present day, that determine is 2-5% per developed nation, a daunting thought.
Educators and faculties internationally, educate youngsters on rising meals and farming and make it obligatory and a part of faculties research that each baby ought to develop one thing, till it’s harvested and ready for consumptions, educate our youngsters to respect nature, meals and to assist them perceive how it’s grown and significance of meals